Mobile technology has evolved the expectations of today’s customer when it comes to the service, installation, repair, maintenance or inspection of their critical equipment, infrastructure and facilities. Information and communication is expected before, during and after the service work visit that satisfies the customer’s need for convenience, quality and clarity. This shift presents opportunity for service contractors to meet their customer needs with a mobile app for technicians.
Equip Your Service Team with the Right Mobile Field Service Tools and Features
Fortunately, the same mobile technology molding customer expectations can have a similarly transformative, positive effect on a service contractor’s operations. Mobile service team success depends in large part on how informed technicians are, and in turn, how well they keep customers informed. The right mobile app, working in unison with back office systems, can deliver gains in both customer-facing service, and field productivity. Popular app features include:
• Cross-Platform – Run the native mobile app on your company’s choice of iOS (iPad, iPhone), Android or Windows Mobile devices, including tablets and smartphones.
• Labor Hours — Technicians can record their billable and non-billable hours to the work order so they’re instantly available to accounting with no need for re-entry.
• Status — Current work status for the technician updates schedulers / dispatchers with visibility to availability, and managers can see the progress of the job in real-time.
• Parts — Streamlined parts and inventory software allows quick and easy maintenance of multi-digit alphanumeric part and serial numbers so you can provide updates about parts’ location, availability, and reordering needs.
• Customer Assets / Serviceable Items – Help techs arrive prepared with automatic call info about the equipment they’re dispatched to repair.
• Scopes —Track work on the mobile app in scopes or sections to facilitate scheduling and record-keeping for multi-phase installation or maintenance work.
• Tasks / Misc — Record specific tasks and other miscellaneous charges to the work order or scope on the mobile app for billing backup and reporting purposes.
• Inspections — Field workers can perform guided inspections, complete service reports and other custom field forms right within the mobile app.
• Equipment — Track equipment or heavy machinery usage time, and record to the work order.
• GPS — Mobile device GPS location communicates technician location to schedulers for inter-day work assignment availability.
• Alerts — Field workers and customers can stay informed quickly with receive automated email or text alerts.
Work Smarter in the Field
Contractors with service departments are seeking ways to improve visibility and work smarter not only in the field, but throughout the service department and across the entire organization. Utilizing an integrated, contractor technician-specific mobile app can deliver these benefits and more, including higher worker utilization rates, better management visibility of field activity, and stronger competitive differentiation.
Once you’ve made the decision to invest in the success of your service department, it’s time to consider what mobile application will be best for your team. If you’re in the market for a cross-platform, cloud-based mobile app, use this Buyer’s Guide to Mobile Field Service Software—with important tips, guiding questions, and to-do’s—for successful app selection and implementation.